Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Some Thoughts on Weapons and Professions

"A true warrior forges his own axe."

Is what I were brought up to believe. And I's lived it that way. Copper Battle Axe. Heavy Mithril Axe. Light Skyforged Axe. Truesilver Champion (olay, that were a sword, but still). The Planar Edge. Lunar Crescent. But the world done got more complicated than it were growing up in Durotar. I can't always follow them simple rules. I done made deals with Night Elves and killed buggers 'cause they'd pissed of Draeninaninies and retrieved all sortsa weird crap for gnomes. I don't even want to think about how many gaskets me dad would blow if he knew I were putting on me dwarf disguise and helping them Alliance glubberthunkers (though he'd probably slap me on the back and say "well done, lad!" if he heard about how I'd done curled Miss Proudmoore's toes). But I digressifiies.

Thing is, I think I wants to learn engineering. And there ain't enough room in me head fer too many skills, so I'd eithers haveta forget mining or forget smithing. Trying to be a engineer and a smith withouts being able to mine would be too dang expensive, so that's out. If I learns engineering I could make this and this and this and, whoo doggy! these. Which'd rock me socks. But I'd haveta stop using me two crafted axes, and that would suck if I weren't able ta replace'em. So what I gonna do?

Well, maybes I can replace'em. I's nearly exalted with the Aldorks, at which point I'll be able to pick me up one of they's Vindicitator's Brandy swords. Not quite as nifty as The Planar Edge, but should be adequates fer farming when tank specced. For a two-hander, I gots me some options. Right now I could go talk to them simple country orcs in Nagrand and get me a Hellscream's Willy, which be a strange name fer an axe, but whatevers. Is an all-offensive weapon, like me Lunar Crescent, so less than ideal fer PvPing, and the dps would be a noticeable drop, but I could maybe handle it for the short-term. Then there's the Legionfoe from the new Dorkbabies faction - comparable overall, but got a bunch of stamina for the PvPing. Longer-term, the best way ta go would be the Gladiator's Decapitator, which would be a rel upgrade from even the Lunar Crescent but is gonna require a lot more honor farming in AV. So, I'll be working on that but it's gonna take a while 'cause I got other chickens ta chase.

So, there's me thoughts. I been stashing away mats, in case I ever decides to go down this road, and I thinks the time may be Real Soon. Got about enough to power-level to 300, and some of what I'll need fer the next 50. If I does make the plunge, you buggers'll be the firsts to know.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can't your brother get you mats?

Ratshag said...

Yeah, that's an option, and he were 70 I'd put him to work mining without hesitations (he's skinning and tailoring right now). But he's only 60, so he could only mine up to fel iron reliably right now. And no flying mount (especiallies not epic) and no dailies means his ore per hour or golds per hour done be way less than what I can do. *shrugs*

Anonymous said...

I went engineering to help my guild out and I've never looked back (was a leatherworker and a skinner). Our main tank was a smith, he saw those tankatronics and dropped it in a heartbeat, made himself poor getting to 375 eng but he's happy as hell. You get repair bots, the Gyro balance khorium destroyer for pulls (if you need to i guess) and more goggles than you can shake a stick at. and you'll get the Furious Gizmatic goggles for when or if ever you spec fury too. As a hunter I'm never without my surestrike v2.0's

Anonymous said...

Yeah its hard no matter what Rats. I think you'll be better off at the moment sticking with mining/bs until you can get someone else to contribute for mining. Your brother can easily drop skinning eventually though as tailoring doesn't normally require much in the way of skins just a lot of enchanting mats, primals, and cloth. Most of which would be AH bought anyways. And if you go engineering you can get this nifty item http://www.wowhead.com/?item=23821 to help with mote collection anyways. And it works with your Engineering googles to boot.

Anonymous said...

Two weeks or so ago I dropped BS, which was sitting at a less-than-respectable level due to cost of advancement, for engineering. My engineer wife has been trying to talk me into it for ages, and when she made her rogue goggles I finally decided it was my turn. One warrior to another, I would never go back.

I kept mining, so I farmed some mats and bought the rest to powerlevel to 350 over the course of a weekend.

I'm now at 360-something. The grind from 360-375 is tough but attainable even if you're leveling it casually. I have tankatronic goggles (sexy...oh, so sexy), a mote extractor, and last night I picked up the recipe for the repair bot. Also, don't forget about the transporters, which basically give you 2 extra hearthstones. Overall, I think it's absolutely worth it.

Anonymous said...

The nice thing about going engy is that you can actually make some cash from the potion injectors and the mote extractor. Maybe even enough to offset the cost of keeping smithing...

Bell said...

I've always wanted to be an engineer, but I've gotten so many recipes and discovered so many different things that I can't give up my Alchemy, and I's too poor to give up my Herbalism.

Anonymous said...

If your brother is skinning, you could farm up the mats for engie and then have him pick up mining for future leveling purposes. Honestly, smithing is a fantastic profession for warriors. Don't forget that with Primal Nethers and Vortexes being boe, you could craft a Wicked Edge of the Planes (http://wowhead.com/?item=28433) aka Axe with Fire or a Bloodmoon (http://wowhead.com/?item=28436).

If you've already got the mats for 350, I suggest you just farm up the rest on Ratshag and then go from there. Blacksmithing is too painful to level for me to not protest your dropping it! A warlock is a good farming machine at 70, and your dailies plus his questing will be a hefty income. Also, who knows what the expansion might bring for smithing?

Taueth

Anonymous said...

Gogo engineering!

But may I push the Gnome variant? The Poultryizer really rocks for a tank because it lets you pull a caster.

Anonymous said...

One last thought on the matter:

A true warrior forges his own Gyro-Balanced Khorium Destroyer.

No less honorable.