Friday, October 28, 2011

Is Where There Is Some Good News

Tipped off by readers Fletcher and ScottH, I goes ta the bunghole known as "the forums" and I see what the lame, anonymous, non-apology from the band be gone, and instead is a message from Mr. Morhaime, president of Blizzard Entertainment (and a member of the band). Is a quotification:

Dear members of the Blizzard community,

I have read your feedback and comments about this year’s BlizzCon, and I have also read the feedback to the apology from Level 90 Elite Tauren Chieftain. I’d like to respond to some of your feedback here.

As president of Blizzard, I take full responsibility for everything that occurs at BlizzCon. 

It was shortsighted and insensitive to use the video at all, even in censored form. The language used in the original version, including the slurs and use of sexual orientation as an insult, is not acceptable, period. We realize now that having even an edited version at the show was counter to the standards we try to maintain in our forums and in our games. Doing so was an error in judgment, and we regret it.

The bottom line is we deeply apologize for our mistakes and for hurting or offending anyone. We want you to have fun at our events, and we want everyone to feel welcome. We’re proud to be part of a huge and diverse community, and I am proud that so many aspects of the community are represented within Blizzard itself.

As a leader of Blizzard, and a member of the band, I truly hope you will accept my humblest apology.

– Mike Morhaime
President, Blizzard Entertainment

Is the world all perfect and roses now? 'Course not. Is still plenty of fuhgwads and hatemongers out there. But Mr Morhaime's apology fer encouraging them is a victory fer everyone what believes in grownuppery and respectin' each other, including the people at Blizzard. I applauds and thanks everyone what contributed ta makin' this happen, and I accepts Mr Morhaime's apology.

And now, I's happy fer ta move on ta other grown-up issues. Likes, resolvin' the question: is this a Flyin' Broom in me bags, or is I just happy fer ta see ya?

9 comments:

Night said...

Excellent! Thanks for posting this.


And yes, there is a flying broom in my bag.... there always us a flying broom in my bag...

Stormy said...

You's a stand-up glubbernugger, Ratters. I ain't be authorizationized to speakify for no one buts meself, but as a dude what loves other dudes, I thanks ya for being a mench.

Kay said...

I definitely appreciate that he took the time to lay out exactly what he was apologizing for and to say that it's inappropriate in all situations.

Now, if only the trade chat trolls would learn that lesson. (The Dance Studio is probably more likely.)

Ratshag said...

@Night-
If the Flyin' Broom stays in yer bag fer more than four hours, they say ya should seek medical attentions.

@Stormy-
I figger peoples is peoples, bro. All them details is just what makes us individuals.

@Kay-
based on what I saw in the thread followin' his apology, don't be holdin' yer breath. :(

Khol Drake said...

I, for one, always presume you're just happy to see me.

Fletcher said...

I'm more worried by the *number* of flying brooms I've got in my bags. One kajillion brooms and squashlings but not a single horse.

Fletcher said...

Also - this whole kerfuffle has inspired me to make my upcoming Pandaren monk homosexual. A big hairy leather-clad gay bear.

And he'll always be happy to see you, Ratters. XD

Ratshag said...

@Khol-

Mouse sez she'll be happy ta see ya when ya come run her through Slabs a few times.

@Fletcher-

But of course. Everybody's always happies fer ta see ol' Ratters!

Anonymous said...

Ratters

Tempted to roll a lil goblin on your server just to meet you ;) :D

And I'm normally on Oceaniac so timezone is going to be helz but.......for you and maybe Maurice..... ;)